Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Downtime...

I fell off a ladder day before yesterday. I was arranging the shade over my workspace next to the Flash, when the flimsy ladder I was using slipped and I landed on my right ribcage on the side of a dinghy on the ground. I fell about nine feet. When I hit the boat I could actually see my ribs deforming and the lower right part of my chest move to the center of my chest. It was remarkable.

Of course it hurt like hell.

My brain started screaming panic, but after a second I just muttered to myself, "It's just an injury." Then I took my first breath, and once through that, took another.

Of course it hurt like hell.

A bit dizzy and wobbly, I got up and covered up my tools, locked the gate and drove home.
Once at home, I fired up my computer and Googled "rib injury." I called the First Mate and told her about my mishap so someone would know, and after a brief discussion, drove to "Rescate" to have the ribs wrapped. Rescate is our local Mexican-manned First Aid and Ambulance station in San Carlos. It's supported by the residents of our town through a variety of means, mostly fundraising events.

They gave me some lightweight drugs and taped me up. Then I went back to the house to consult with my next door neighbor, Dave. Dave is a retired physical therapist, specializing in sports medicine. He was so good at his job, he worked on the Olympic teams. So after a several minutes with Dave, I knew that I needed to get x-rays, and I would not be getting a lot done on the Flash, or the cars or anything else for a few weeks. Dave gave me a couple of Vicodin tablets he had, and I went home and setup a comfortable chair in front my computer to watch dvds while the drugs kicked in.

At one point, I sneezed. Of course, it hurt like hell.

My plans to head south for winter cruising are now postponed for a month while I heal up. The 1st Mate came over with extra pillows and white dogs, and we made plans to go get x-rays the following day. After the Vicodin started working, I was able to crawl into bed and get some sleep. I've had worse nights.

The x-rays show no fractures, all normal. So, according to Dave, it's all soft tissue stuff. Still very painful, but I will recover faster than if there were cracks or breaks. I figure it's God's way of telling me to slow down.

My plans now evolve around getting the Bing finished at a bodyshop. Getting the Westy up to the states and on the market. Getting the 2011 database designed for our next book, getting some old graphics files replaced in the book we do, and taking it easy. I'll hire somebody to clean up the workyard, put all tools away in the trailer and tow the trailer next door to the secure yard. Heal and go.

This morning, while surfing around I ran across this quote, which I try, in my humble way, to emulate:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

1 comment:

rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.